Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Exercise and Immunity

Well, apparently my immunity system is shot, because I just keep getting sick!  I have a cold or allergies or something now, but I'm on antibiotics already from my last sickness so hopefully it won't get too bad.  I've been looking on the internet trying to find ways to boost my immunity, and along with many disgusting sounding smoothies, exercise is one of the big boosters.  I've been doing lots of core exercises for after pregnancy to help get my back and abdominal muscles strengthened up some.  I did not realize how weak they get after having a baby!  Before and even during pregnancy I could do tons of crunches-all kinds-no problem.  The first time I tried to do one after having Ava, I was shaking all over and I could barely do one!  Anyways, I digress.  One of my "stay at home" projects was to start running and to be able to run a 5K, which is about 3 miles.  Again, I was not prepared for the fact that I wouldn't be able to start doing that as soon as I got home from the hospital.  Well, I went to the doctor on Monday, and she has cleared me for exercise, so I decided I should start.  I found a "Couch Potato to 5K" running plan and next week, when I know I will be feeling much better, I plan on starting it in full force.  I have tried this week, but just walking down our driveway (which is really long) has worn me out.  My goal is to be able to run 3 miles by Thanksgiving, and my sister-in-law Amber (who runs half marathons) has agreed to run-very very very slowly- in the Turkey Trot in Dallas with me Thanksgiving Day. We will see what happens.  Hopefully this will help boost my immunity and get me feeling better and more energized!!  And if you happen to be in the Dallas area on Thanksgiving Day and want to run with us, just let me know!  Next year I hope to run it in Paris and possibly be able to keep up with my friend Jeri-if you know her, you know that will be an accomplishment! 

No comments: